Sunday, March 24, 2013

Hey - Furever Families ... Are you out there??

Today I am struggling and scratching my head. One because its the 24th of March and there was snow in the air again today and still loads of snow on the ground. I was ok with it for a while but I've got to be honest and tell you that seriously, I'm done, I'm out, I'm ready for spring.

Bring.on.the.mud.

I'm tired of being cold. I'm tired of layering. I'd like to see the sun. I'd like to ride my bicycle outside.

I need a change. I want to wear the other clothes and shoes in my closet. I wanna put regular sheets on my bed. I'm really tired of looking at the snowman flannel sheets that have been there (washed weekly) since October.

Come on already.

Ok, I'm sure anybody else who lives in Wisconsin or Illinois or any other state experiencing a Groundhog Prediction Failure is thinking the same thing. But, I digress.

So, back on the "I need a change" train. 

On May 4, 2012, Lucky Jim came to live at The Lodge. I was nervous about taking him because I heard he attacked a dog at his previous fosters house. Wasn't super excited to subject my own Mocha and Te'a to that.

But I welcomed him in, like I do the others and lo and behold he was great with Mocha and Te'a. Large Male dogs and and un-neutered males would be a problem in the future but we've come a long way on that front. We've endured and learned about his Addison's Disease and discovered that you really dont need to give him the shots every month. Similarly, he doesnt need the prednisone every day either. But unless you are thinking of putting in an application and adopting him, I wont bore you with the details.

He's had a handful of apps. He's had a ton of lookers, but mostly people see the Addison's Diagnosis and rethink the application. No worries. The right family is out there ~ somewhere ~ maybe even in a nearby capital city. I dont know. I sure hope so. He's a great dog and he's become a part of our family. Yes, I'm gonna cry like a baby when he finally does leave. But any family who adopts a dog from The Lodge knows that we have to be friends on Facebook so I can see pix of my dog's new life. 

So ... somewhere in nearby Menomonee Falls, Baby Lincoln "Wink" Winkleman was born on that same day. 

A few weeks ago, I drove carpool for the my son and his band mates to Milwaukee Youth Symphony Orchestra. I dropped the kids off and headed over to a local chain bookstore to buy some tea. Across busy 76th Street was another book store where all of the books in were (at least) half price. The first place I go is the pet section. I started pulling out dog books and there in the stacks was The Jack Russell Terrier Handbook.  I bought the book because the dog on the cover looked too darn close to Lincoln Winkleman NOT to buy it. This cover is from Amazon.com.



I'm going to change his breed on his Petfinder ID to Beagle and Jack Russell Terrier Mix. I dont know how we didnt see if before - He's insanely smart, can jump like a  jackrabbit, a kangaroo, a Jack Russell Terrier. He's a perfectly awesome small to medium sized dog and I've already told the director I want him except I have to convince Connor of that. Connor, for those of you who dont know, is my son, not my husband. My husband is all on board. He's housebroken but you still need to pay attention. He's ok with the cats but even tho the cats here at The Lodge are just a shade smaller than he, he still loves to chase and wrestle with our dear Hawk. He is, after all, a terrier.

So that's the latest scoop. I've been watching all of the other Fluffy Dogs find their furever homes but no homes from Lucky Jim and Lincoln Winkleman.

Not that I would give either of them up to any other foster - no way. But I'd like them to go to their own nice homes so I can help another Fluffy. Like Annie, she'll be here for about ten days. This should be fun!

Thank You for Thinking Rescue! Thank You for Reading. 

PS - Be sure to check out Lucky Jim's Facebook Page at




No comments: