Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Lucky-Jimmy Dog gets a Trim

If you're a long time reader of the blog, you know I'm a Labrador person. I like my smooth doggies that the stick-tites and other assorted debris just sliiiiiides right out of their fur. This big doodle guy's hair was getting a bit shaggy looking and the stick-tites, well, they stuck tight. UGH. On his ears, in his armpits, even by his tail. Time for a shave, my doodle-doo friend. Thankfully he's really good about getting trimmed up and he stands very nicely for it, mostly.

A couple of other words about Lucky-Jimmy and his situation. He is house trained and does great in the house. He is fine with cats and kids. He can get a bit dicey with other male dogs and is NOT a fan of un-neutered males.

As you have already read in his petfinder bio, Lucky-Jimmy has a condition called Addison's disease. This is something that he will have his entire existence. If you are interested in adopting him, please talk with your vet about the disease, the related physiological behaviors and the cost of the meds to tread this disease. Like any auto-immune disorder, a flare-up with symptoms and crashing is caused by stress and the body's inability to effectively cope.

At his previous residence, Lucky-Jim had a lifestyle change that sent his world into a "WHOA - WHAT??" spiral. His family took him to the vet, got him on the right meds and his life was good. Because of those changes, he came to rescue. Yes, his family loved him very much and misses him greatly (I got an email from his mom) but due to the circumstances, he is here at The Lodge.  He's been with us for a few months and he's doing great. 

I've only given him one shot and that was waaaay back in May. He does take 5mg of Prednisone daily with breakfast and also some supplements from Standard Process to help him. He's his crazy wild self and runs, from corner to corner of the yard chasing. We dont stay outside too long in this heat; we'd all be dead. 

They ran around for about thirty minutes around 6a today while I watered my saplings. Even then, it was pretty humid and yucky out. Everybody came in and crashed. Kiera's got them outside now but suspect it wont be too long before ... oh, here they come ... they're back in.

I've been watching him closely during these really hot days for any sign that he may be crashing due to a flare up. So far so good. No signs of crashing. He is however a bit of a pony in the house and does go leaping and crashing through the house. 

Here's a series of photos of Lucky Jimmy Dog from Sunday. I thought he needed a haircut as he was getting scruffy so Scott took shaver in hand and we went outside for a trim. 

Aaah, he's soo cute. And you can totally see that he's gained some weight too. You cant even see his ribs or hipbones. 

Enjoy!! Double click to enjoy larger!



Pre-cut

Standing Pre-cut

Starting in the back

Heard a chipmunk chirping

I think this is why people think that he is part  Irish Wolf Hound



Stop taking my picture and get me outta here. It's hot!


My what big teeth you have


Got hot, had to lay down.

YiY! Is that supposed to be shaved???

Ha ha I stood up again!

I'm done with this shaving nonsense. I'm going to eat the shaver.

Fine. Get my face, see if I care.

Awww - I love his tail!!


Good lookin' boy!



Thank you for Thinking Rescue! Thank you for Reading!


No comments: