Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Just a Little More about Lucky-Jimmy

I dont know if you know much about Addison's Disease; I dont. I do know that Lucky Jimmy Dog needs to take medicine or will be game over for him.


I know that doctors and vets use science to solve problems and that's great. I take daily doses of science to keep my blood sugars where they are supposed to be ... mostly. 


I also think that there is a place for alternative medicine, holistic healing, Eastern Traditions. I guess that's why I'm open to keeping Lucky Jimmy Dog off of the monthly shot to "see what we will get". I've got the meds here. They're tucked in a Ziplock bag along with his heartworm preventative, some ear medicine, a DVD on how to use the gentle leader that's on his leash and some paperwork from his previous owner. I've got those meds in the event that Lucky Jimmy Dog should show signs of crashing.


I do give him Predisone every morning - 5 mg. I also give him three different supplements from Standard Process that I toss in his bowl and he chows down with his food. Turns out they are manufactured with a splash of honey, or would that be an ooooze of honey? No matter, he chows them down. These are products that were designed to help with poorly working bodily organs. 


They must be doing the trick because Lucky Jimmy Dog has put on weight and so much muscle. He's an amazing dog.


Over the weekend, I was in Fond du Lac at a dog specialty store to see if I could put some of my books in her store. It didnt work out for that store but the books are at some other stores in Fond du. (If you're interested, check out the side bar on my book blog, A Foster's Tail .)  Regardless, the woman behind the counter is into holistic medicine as well. 


She recommended some EFAs, you know, Essential Fatty Acids, to help Lucky Jimmy Dog. Oh, like fish oil?   She said yes but pierce the shell of the capsule because dogs cant digest that capsule. 


Well, I tried to pierce that and wound up with fish oil on the window(three feet away), my shirt and my right hand and none for the dog. Yeah, dont try that at home. Instead, she also suggested, extra high quality olive oil. 


I dont have a million bucks so I just buy the middle priced brand my discount grocery store sells. 


I figure I'll give it a shot. 


I've been giving him about a teaspoon or so of olive oil on his chow when I feed him. This has been going on since Sunday morning. Today is Wednesday and Lucky Jimmy Dog is off.the.hook. He's a wild man. 


At the dog park this morning he was always on the opposite side of the park from me chasing birds. When we arrived home, he was starting something with both Mocha and Te'a and was promptly rewarded with a growl and a snap. The girls dont take too kindly to having some foster interloper try to become alpha of the pack just after breakfast. 


Well, typically not at all. 


He seems to have been ok with that as he and Mocha are sharing the couch and all is quiet.


So there you go. He's doing great and more than ready for his furever home.


Thank You for Thinking Rescue. Thank You for Reading!

No comments: