Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Almost There ...

It's been nearly a month since our boy Fuzz-Trooper has had his heartworm treatment.  I have to tell you that he's more than ready to re-join the world. 

He is a sweet sweet boy who loves everyone. He's started to show some interest in the cats and I'm not so sure I'm into that but we can adjust that. In the past week or so he's really started to come around and be more like his old self that showed up here about five weeks ago. Only this time around he's eating like a hungry dog and starting put some weight on that bony frame.  When he first arrived he wouldn't even eat the egg yolks I give to the dogs.  Now he wolfs them down.

When I took him in to have his Heartworm Treatment, he weighed 57.9 pounds.  II'm not sure what he weighs now but I'm thinking more in the 65# range.  He could use about 15 more pounds for me to be happy.

He was very sad and missed his life back in Mississippi.  He wouldn't eat but would walk around the house and hang by the door wanting to go home.

He ... uh ... "shares" the bed with the kids. Ok, maybe share is the wrong word.  My nephew and niece were here this weekend and he allowed Alex to have some of the mattress.  On the upside, Alex was very warm all night long.

Fuzz-Trooper is housetrained.  He's also got a very soft mouth - which if you dont know means that he wont destroy your fingers when you give him a treat.  He will sit on command but he's not so good at catching a tossed treat.  We'll have to work on that or Furever Family, maybe you can.

He does need to learn patience in the grooming salon.  Apparently he was not a big fan of getting his face trimmed.  Those are weird noises and I'm sure it was the first time he'd ever seen a scissors.  I've been working on combing his face and ears - just to get him used to people messing around there. Just so you know, he's not a super big fan of that either.  Oh, and he's not a non-shedding doodle.  There is a little hair that comes off of him - not much but he is a shedder.

The doodles I've met are hyper and very very energetic.  Apparently, our boy Fuzz-Trooper has more of the laid back Labrador in him as he is pretty mellow.

Also, I'm not sure if he's a "third shifter" dog or just likes to be the last man standing.  For the past several nights, as he's feeling better, when everyone goes to bed, Fuzz-Trooper stays downstairs.  He comes up when we are actively going to bed but then goes back down after everyone is tucked in.  Then, as a "last call" he barks a couple of times, three maybe four, to say goodnight to us and goodnight to the day.

For those of who want to read more about Wilma-Karmajane, here's a little ditty. She too is coming along well here at The Lodge.  She is approaching more and more people and letting people touch her.  When I take her to work with me, she is all over my boss and co-workers. 

She is housetrained and will pace near the door when she's got to go out. 

She sheds just a little bit but nothing like a Labrador.

She loves to run like the wind and chase other dogs.  When we went to work on New Year's Eve afternoon, she met a "cousin" there named Reggie.  Reggie is a black Great Dane and the two of them had a wonderful time together!  I think both slept really well that night.

She's become such a great dog and she's come so far since she arrived from Alabama last fall.  She does have  ways to go but I'm sure the right family will be able to help her with that.  I do have to say that when her  family adopts her, I would like to stay in touch.  She's really grown on me.  Such a great dog. 

I'm sure you're wondering about the no kids symbol on her biography.  She does great with my kids, ages 14 and 10. But it took four months for her to really trust my 14 yo son.   She did ok with my niece and neph, ages 7 and 9.  But here's the thing, if a family with kids want to adopt a dog from a rescue, they pretty much want and "instant" dog that they can love and hug and pet.  Wilma-Karmajane is not that dog.  But if you are a couple or a single person and willing to be patient and put in some extra time, you'll have yourself an amazing dog.

So that's the post for today. 

I know there are one or two of you who have been reading since the inception and I thank you for that support.  I've finished writing a book about our adventures in fostering and I'm hoping to have it out March 1, 2012.  I've got a Facebook page started on it but have yet to design a book jacket.  The title is "A Foster's Tail"  - I'll keep you posted!!

Thanks for reading!!

No comments: