Monday, August 8, 2011

This, That and Everything In-Between

It seems like forever and three rolls of toilet paper ago that I updated this blog.  It's been a little crazy here at The Lodge.
Will continues to be the sweetest, cutest thing on four legs.  Will continues to grow, as well.  At the rate he's growing, I fear he will be Clifford the Big Red Dog proportions by the end of the year.  Gasp!

He's five and a half months old and is just a hair under 75#.  He hasn't quite grown into his body yet so he's a bit like a gangly teenager.  He trips and slides in the grass while racing and chasing at the dog park. 

He is quite a hit at the dog park.  Everyone remarks on how cute he is and then step back when they see the size of his feet.  They also ask about the crazy lookin' double dew claws on his hind feet.  Those are characteristic Great Pyr, boys and girls.

No, I'm not sure how big he's going to get.  I'd like to keep him a while so furever family, you can wait a bit to put in your app. 

I can tell you that his fur is so soft.  He's like a living, breathing Teddy Bear.

He is still very much a puppy and playing all day wears him out. 

We went to another foster's house for a pool party last week and while he didn't go in, he helped Mocha and Te'a out of the water.  He's big into helping, you know. 

Somehow, he managed to fall in the pool.  At first he banged around just using his front paws but when I lifted his middle up so he could "plane out", he swam like a Labrador. 

We somehow got his big ol' uncoordinated body out of the pool and that was his last trip in the pool.

I work part-time at another doggy daycare and I'm able to bring my own dogs along for fun and exercise.  Thursday I took Will.  He had a great time and tried to swim in the kiddie play pool in the play yard.  He thought that playing with his distant cousin, George the Newfoundland, might be fun, until George barked at him.  Then it was pretty much game over and he chose to play with the puggle.

He went along with me when I dropped the doggies off at their homes.  After everybody was dropped off, he got a little ancy in the kennel so I let him out.  He came up front by me and crawled into the laundry basket and promptly went to sleep.  ZZZZzzzzzz.

I'd like to tell you that he's about 90% housetrained.  We had an accident this morning - it was the first one in a while.  So, he's almost there!

I'm pretty sure he's done teething too for a while.  I managed to find several of his puppy teeth.  The next ones won't come out until he's about 18mos. old.  I have time to safeguard the rolls of tp in the bathroom before then.

This week we are babysitting for a friend's dog.  She is a seven pound pomeranian/terrier/cute-as-a-bug mix.  Of course she and will are besties!!  They've been tearing up the backyard and wrestling like mad in the family room.  For the past hour or so, they've both been sacked out.  Muppett is on the couch with the kids and Will is in here with me on the cool floor, on his back.

He seems to have some rather intense... gas... as he and Muppett switched foods earlier.  I guess his little puppy tummy wasn't quite ready for the chow that she eats.  I'm going to wrap this up as my eyes are tearing up from the fumes and I can't see well as my contacts are swimming.

Thanks for reading!  Thank you for thinking rescue.  If you're looking for a perfect first timers pet, and you like BIG dogs, send in your app for our baby Will.  He's perfect for you! xxoo


No comments: