Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Two Weeks and Counting

Well, it's been two weeks since Axe has had his heartworm treatment.  Overall it's seeming to go quickly - minute by minute it's getting tougher.

Axel is definitely feeling better.  Whether it's his heart or just because he's tired of sitting around the house, he's very rambunctious and NEEDS A WALK.  However, I talked to my friend Dawn the other day, she's our vet and she said, "No go" on the the walk. 

I've been trying to keep him calm.  I really have but it's getting tougher.

Yesterday while I cleaned off the deck, I tied him to a tree while the bigger doggies ran around acting all crazy in the yard.  I'm trying, really. 

In an effort to clean up the deck, I decided to burn a bunch of scrap wood that was laying around.  I started the fire in the firepit and kept feeding it.  As the fire grew, I decided it might be a good idea to get the deck wet so I wouldn't burn that down in the process. 

The sun had come around and Axel's shady spot under the tree was now in the direct sunlight, so I tied him to my camp chair.  You know, they fold up and they're portable. 

When I brought the hose around on the deck, poor Axel flipped out and dragged the chair off the deck, around the side of the house and up to the front porch.  While calling his name I was formulating what I was going to say to Lori.  Crud.  Talk about your foster failure.

Well, he survived that without too much turmoil.  I put him in the house so he could watch me, and the fire, and the hose without being a part of the action.  He seemed ok with that.

Later on last night, Kiera and I went to the Y for Kiera's volleyball practice.  I heard from Scott and Connor that poor Axel stepped on a ground bee's nest.  All I could think was that I hoped this poor dog survives the night.

When we all went to bed, Axel didn't come upstairs.  After laying in bed an hour, I could take no more.  I ran downstairs looking for him but couldn't find him.  Anywhere.  He was nowhere to be found downstairs.  OMG. I think we actually killed this one and he's gone off to die behind the couch.

Then I heard him shake and he came trotting up the stairs.  He promptly jumped on the bed, put his head on my chest and went to sleep.  Ok.  Well.  Then.

Today he was his usual self but he's starting to turn it up a notch.  He was playing with the cat, twice.  He was trying to play with Te'a but I kept breaking it up.  So, he just sat next to me and put his paws on my lap. 

I've even had him outside off leash a couple times to let him take care of business where I open the door and out we go.  After he takes care of stuff, I call him to me and hug him for all he's worth - It's a loooooong hug.

Furever Family, I just know you're out there.  Thinking about a dog. Wishing you had some new pictures to look at.  I meant to do that today but got sidetracked with a mountain of wrinkled laundry.  I did get the laundry folded while I watched a really dumb movie, "Date Night" with Steve Carrell and Tina Fey.  I thought it would be funny - no, it was completely lame  Don't waste your money.  I also watched Back-up plan with JLo.  That one was kind of out there but if you want to be entertained and need a break from reality, I recommend it.

Til next time.  Hopefully I'll have some pix for you soon.  Sorry I've been neglectful of all of you.  I've got a new job and hopefully things will start to settle in soon!

Thanks for reading!

No comments: