Saturday, November 8, 2014

Cameron Goes Home! Here's His Noogie!



For those of you watching this story on my News feed this week. Here is the Happy Ending we've all been hoping for Cameron ... er... Duncam ... ah... Duncan.
This story is especially meaningful to all our friends: - Becky:who sent Duncan to Wisconsin all those months ago, Fluffy Dog Wellness & Rescue, and all of the collective prayers from all the volunteers and fosters, and everybody who was watching from MN and Northern WI and sharing the posts.
Thank You to Lucy of Lost Dogs- MN and Minnesota Boxer Rescue for helping out ~ first by making the home visit to Paul and Sandi's house but then going above and beyond and encouraging/offering guidance/looking for Duncan while he was out on his Minnesota adventure (kind of wish I had a go-pro of that trip).
Thank you to Sandi & Paul for seeing Duncan's potential, based solely on his pictures and bio. He's going to be an amazing addition to your family.
Thank you for all the prayers and well wishes to bring him back to his new home. One where he is one of two dogs and not 38. Here he will get the love and care he deserves, that every dog deserves.
What a great end to a crazy week.

Here is the post that his mom put on FB...

"
Paul has a new dog : ) ! On Saturday 11/1 we drove 5 hours one way to pick up a rescue Bearded Collie mix and on Sunday Duncan bolted from our Burnsville home. The whole neighborhood seemed to be out and tracked and spotted him until the last sighting at 130th and Nicollet. We went to bed sick at heart and frightened for him. 
The next day I talked to Animal Control and Lucy from MN Boxer Rescue who told me to expect a long search with a dog who is frightened of people. However they said a capture was possible with nets, tranquilizers or drugged food. Duncan's foster mom Shelly was also hugely supportive.

On Monday I made flyers and put them in businesses where I felt more people would see them. No sightings, depression. 

On Tuesday, Paul and I searched the woods from the lasting siting to Gideon Pond grade school. I had a spicy hot dog on a stick that I rubbed on trees and waved around. Later I walked our neighborhood and the woods and did the same. I also drove our area and gave flyers to walkers in the morning and afternoon (this was the most effective effort, people also talked to their friends & family and I should have given each walker more than 1 flyer). 

Tuesday evening I was doing some work (thank you Dan who didn't even blink when I announced I would only be working 1/2 days) and outside my window was my wandering Duncan. He stayed by the deck as I rolled spicy hot dog bites off but was gone when I stood up. That night he came back and ate his food out of his kennel. He also came back Wednesday morning after I left for work and ate.

On Thursday morning he had not returned and eaten- I was desperate thinking he was caught in the woods. Although the MN Zoo, Animal Control, and everyone said there wasn't a live trap large enough for a dog, a woman at the Wild Animal center at a Humane Society said she thought there was- just not for domestic animals. Since my former bosses would not let me attend "think outside the box trainings" (they said they would have to explain what the box was first) I thought Wild Cats Animal Sanctuary https://www.wildcatsanctuary.org/ and called. She explained they didn't rent their live trap out since people didn't return it in the past. I offered a $700 deposit and $100 rental fee- bless her heart she agreed.

After 4 hours of driving I set the trap up where his kennel had been. I rubbed Paul's dirty shirt all over it and put it in the opening along with leaves to cover the wire mesh. Robbie was happy to walk into it and eat the bites of hot dog and then I made him lie down in the leaves and rubbed him with them. I had lots of food and more hot dogs in the food bowl, but at 8pm I decided I needed more bait. I went outside and there was the trapped Duncan. He looked fairly happy to have been captured.

Lia came over and Paul raced home and we carried the whole 6 foot trap into the house, leaves and all.
 
Since his capture he has stopped his former acts of Civil Disobedience (peeing in the house) and worships Paul. I have to listen to lectures from Paul about how to keep Duncan from bolting (did I mention he bolted from the Worshipped One, not me?) but I think all 3 of us have bonded over Duncan's extended absence.
Someday he will understand that I am the REALLY wonderful one ; ]

No comments: