Sunday, July 28, 2013

In the Aftermath

Twenty four hours ago a nice couple from the Madison Area came and took Jim home. They loaded him into their car; their backseat was a bit squishy for Jim's large frame but in he went. We've texted back and forth a couple of times since then and things are going as ok as I expected they would. He's a little freaked out by the fact that he's not at The Lodge anymore but after living here for fourteen months who could blame him?

It's a little quieter around here today. Not that Jim was so noisy but I think everybody is grieving in their own way. We all usually do a little bit after somebody leaves but this was big. 

Somebody left the cauliflower out last night, ok, it was me, and the bag of chopped up veggies were laying on the counter. Fosters at The Lodge get exposed to a lot of interesting tasty foods. Cauliflower, broccoli, celery, bananas, oranges, cucumbers to name a few. Jim liked to eat all of those things. Sophie is not quite so sure about vegetables. She came to us a two weeks ago a rather pudgy rescue, a rarity, and I think with the switch to healthy dog food and daily runs at the park, she's lost a couple of pounds but still hasnt developed a taste for veggies. We'll work on that. 

So I tossed a few crunchies at Mocha, Te'a, (Naughty )Alyx and Sophie and... oh, wait Jim's not here. YaY! and simultaneously, oh.

I decided to put my grief to use and pull weeds in my front garden. Everybody was running around and when I was done did a headcount, One, Two, Three, Four ... wherrrrrres Jim? Oh, that's right... he's in Madison.

I'm sure we'll have a few more days of that but that's ok. Just an indicator of how much we loved him around here. 

Sophie will be moving away from The Lodge soon too but I'll tell you more about that after she leaves. 

Alyx is welcome to stay as long as she wants. Now that she's housetrained and more trustworthy, she's even MORE lovable. 

Thank you for thinking rescue. Thank You for reading. 

No comments: