Saturday, October 20, 2012

Getting Everybody Caught Up.

It's been over ten days since I last posted about the pack here at The Lodge. Much too long. We've had applications for all three foster dogs that have come and gone for one reason or another. So for the sake of the dogs, and the reason that you're here, let me introduce you to the current fosters at The Lodge.

First, because he's been here since spring, almost seven months, I think, is Lucky Jimmy. He is a 3 1/2 year old Labradoodle. He is full of Labradoodle energy which means he is OFF THE HOOK. He needs a family who is energetic and willing and able to take him out and run him every day. He has an underground fence-like contraption that allows him to RUN through my yard everyday.  He is a very tall doodle, who can lick plates on my kitchen table and he weighs 73#. He is housetrained and he sheds very little. Lucky Jimmy also has Addison's disease. He requires 5 mg of predisone every morning for breakfast and also a shot of Percorten every 25 or so days or he will crash. Addison's flare-ups can/will be brought on by stress. His life is pretty easy here at The Lodge and he has not exhibited any signs of crashing since that one day back in July. His last shot was August 31. I will not give him another shot until he starts to exhibit crashing signs. Right or wrong, I'm not sure but I would rather not fill his body with the medicine. Here's the rub - the medicine costs are about $100/month, if you are giving him the $80 shot every month. One more thing ... he is the most wonderful and cuddly dog. He is sweet and gentle and a real honey. 

Next is Alex-Riggs. Alex-Riggs is an eight month old Golden Retriever/Sheltie or Sheltie/Chow or ?? mix. He is gold and black and his hair is really starting to come in thick and full. Perhaps its because he's from Alabama and its a lot cooler here in Wisconsin. Either way he's loving the cold weather. He is a very very very mellow pup. We fear he was abused at a young young age and then ditched at the shelter. He's very shy  now as opposed to very very very shy when he first arrived a few weeks ago. His sneaky puppy side is beginning to peek out however. This morning I was laying in bed reading. I was listening to somebody crunching on paper or something rattly on the rug on the other side of the bed. Kiera & Scott had gone downstairs and Connor was still sleeping. Then... I started to smell ... cough drops. You know that unmistakable scent of Halls. It permeates the air in a twelve foot radius like a nuclear fallout cloud. I stopped reading and sniffed. Hmm, that's weird I thought to myself. No matter and back to the book. Then the littlest member of The Lodge pack came upstairs and was dropping something small and hard on the floor. What has she gotten into? Fine, I put the book down and got out of bed. Here Italy-Pippy had found a brand new bag of cough drops under the bed (yeah, she's that tiny) and Alex-Riggs stole it from her and was helping himself. Mocha managed to get one before I got them all picked up and Alex-Riggs looked on in awe at her defiance. This little cough drop fiasco was the naughtiest he's been in the six weeks he's been here. He too is housetrained and I think he has an extra bladder in there because WoW for such a little guy, he sure can hold it. With regards to his shyness, we try to push him beyond his comfort level every now and again to get him to understand that people are good and no one is going to hurt him ever again.

The newest member of the pack is little 10.6# Italy-Pippy who has only been here a week. We called her Pippy as her ears stick out from the side of her head like Pippy Longstocking's Braids. She is a Yorkie Mix, maybe ? - Who knows? She's cute as a bugs ear and she's such a little pistol.When she runs towards you, she runs, runs and jumps! I cant tell you too much about her except that she is ALLLLL Puppy. And like most puppies, she runs and acts crazy and wild and then crashes. She's smaller than our cats but that doesnt stop her wanting to chase them. Though of course, when they chase her, she yelps likes she's been mortally wounded and runs for the couch. She is NOT, by any definition housetrained. Yes, the accidents are fewer and further between but she is not housetrained. Does she shed?  I dont know. Most puppies dont shed too much and she's really no exception.

So that's the news from The Lodge. I dont have pictures yet, other than the three on the petfinder page for Italy-Pippy. Its been pretty crazy around here! Whee!!

Happy Autumn! We're going out to play in the leaves!

Thank You for Thinking Rescue! Thank You for Reading!

2 comments:

Jenni Thompson said...

Thanks, Michelle for the update. I am happy to hear that Alex-Riggs is doing well. I have been checking often for an update :)

Is he gentle and patient with the kids? Does he have some behavior or abandonment issues? My son has Autism and we want to eventually want to get a dog, but need to make sure it is a good fit for both. He loves playing with our neighbors dogs.

I will keep checking in on him to see his progress and for a time line of when he might be ready to move on to a new family.

Jenni Thompson

Michelle R. Grade said...

Hi Jenni -

He is still quite shy with the kids. Our daughter is 11 and she is my dog person. he does ok with her but is still fearful. my son is (just) 15 and is a cat person and comes on quite strong which really frightens Alex-Riggs. I wonder how he would be with your son; soul to soul. I'd like to think it would be a good fit rather like a made for TV movie - lol.

When does your son turn six?

I would like to discuss further with you. Can you email? iwannahelpdoggies@gmail.com

mg