Saturday, December 10, 2011

Ugh but it was ok.

So, we went to the dog park this morning.  Yes, I know, it was 13 degrees out but Wilma Karma was on my lap and in my face while I was typing an email.  After pushing her down for seemingly the 800th time, I wrapped up my note and got on my outdoor clothes.

For those of you who've seen us and wondered WHAT? I'll tell you.  We go to the dog park because they need exercise everyday.  They need to be socialized every day. So we go.

Yes, five can be a bit of a challenge but it's workable.  Better with two people but one can do it alone.

First my apologies to Eddie's mom and Eddie.  Sometimes those little guys look a lot like squirrels when you bring them to the big dog exercise area. I am sorry that my dogs tag-teamed and wanted to play "chase the squirrel" with Eddie.

To the guy and his wife with the Bischon and the Cocker in sweaters who stood around making snide comments, you're the reason I prefer to go early on the weekends.

To everyone else who actually took the iniative to get exercise right along with their dog, way to go!!

Ok, whew - Glad I got that off my chest. I'm sure there's more but I'm afraid I would come off rather snotty. (Sarcasm is one of those languages spoken fluently here at The Lodge)

Onto dog issues.

Here's a little "pup-date" on everybody here at The Lodge.

Wilma-KarmaJane - I've been walking her around the dog park with a rope on as it has become increasingly difficult to get her to come in when I want to leave.  So for the past week she's been running with a leash on.  Apologies to anyone who may have gotten tangled up in it but it's a necessary evil.  I've also been working on getting her used to the cold.  She rolled in something the other day and I took her jacket off to wash it.  I have yet to put it back on in these 13 degree temps.  Maybe that is part of the reason she's eager to come home with me. Hmmm... In the spirit of rolling, she does enjoy a good roll in the ... well, you know what they like to roll in.  So we come home and have a little tubby time.  Not so bad giving a very shorthaired dog a bath.  They are dry in almost no time compared to my labs. She is such a sweet girl and I find myself getting more and more attached to her everyday.  Today, Sophie and Bjorn's dad asked if I was going to keep her.  No, I said, her family is out there.  They're just not ready for her yet.  I tell you what tho, I'm looking forward to meeting them, wherever they may be and when ever they may be.  Perhaps after the holidays?  Perhaps.  I will also tell you that she is quite shy and unsure of the world.  She's slowly forgetting to be afraid but now that it's gotten colder all of the familiar faces she's used to seeing are covered up with hats and head socks.  Ugh, we get to start all over again. Apologies too to the guy with the rabbit fur bomber hat on - I guess you kind of freaked her out with that. She is a very high energy dog who needs daily runs.  Older kids are preferable and if you have a fence, it should be over four feet high because she can jump them. She is definitely NOT  a first timers dog.  You'll need to have a little more doggie experience under your collar before you'll take her home.

Lucky-Coal - Ok all you families who've never had a dog before and are ready to adopt a dog for your family. this is the dog for you.  he is the perfect little doggie.  we've taught him how to sit - both vocally and with hand signals.  he is house trained but he is a young boy and needs to go for routine walks after he eats or he will leave some treasures for you to discover, hopefully in bare feet and not with your socks on.  He is wonderful with the kiddies and the kitties too.  He likes to play with toys but is very bad about putting them away.  My floor looks like a mine field most of the time. If you have another dog and you are looking to increase your family, he would do best with dogs who arent' quite as ... um... enthusiastic.  Wilma Karma jane can be a bit much for poor Lucky-Coal.  He does like to play but with dogs that are a little less high strung and domineering.  Funny thing tho, he will get WILD in the house with Wilma Karma but at the park, he prefers to trot along and get exercise.  The only time we crate him is when we leave.  At night, he is free to sleep wherever he wants.

Fuzz - Trooper - Wow - Again, this boy is quite possibly  a good candidate for someone who has trained a dog before but is not necessarily an expert. I havent decided if he was abused in his past or hit by a car.  He's a bit touchy about his backside but is greatly improved from when he first arrived.  I don't think he was ever abused but I could be wrong.  He is a sweet sweet boy.  Someone worked very hard with him, or I'm a good trainer (or he's that smart) because I had him sitting by hand signals alone within a few days of him arriving at The Lodge.  He too is housetrained, is great with the kids and the cats.  He is pretty thin at 60# and could quite possibly handle 15 - 20# on his large frame. I'm happy to report that my friend Amy, LA Grooming in Hartland (http://www.lagroom.com/) is going to give him a groom on Monday.  I can't wait to see how he looks all cleaned up.  He loves the dog park as much as everybody else but those days are dwindling down for a while.  Wednesday morning will be his last day of romping and running as he is getting his heartworm treatment on Wednesday and Thursday mornings.  Then it's a month of couch time while those nasty little wormies die.  it is quite painful for him as well as the chemo like medicine is injected into the big muscles in front of his hip bones using very large needles.  I hope that all of you reading this have your dogs on heartworm preventative of some sort so that your beloved doesnt get it.  It's ugly and nasty and it's a killer cure.  Yes, not handled properly, your dog could die from the treatment.  Yes, your dog could die from heartworm.  Skip the drama and toss your dog a pill once a month.  Easy.  Because of the treatment, he will not be ready to go home until sometime in January.  We want him free and clear of the buggies before he comes to your house.

Enough of the soapbox, but please, think about it.

Fuzz-Trooper has yet to enter a kennel here at The Lodge.  There is no need.  He likes to spend his nights on the couch.  he has yet to discover toys but has been chewing on bones that Lucky-Coal leaves out. 

So, never a dull moment here at The Lodge.  I have to tell you I do enjoy fostering but three big fosters is just a hair over my limit.  I took on the extra dog because he had heartworm.  If you think you might be ready for your dog, feel free to complete an application.  I also have to tell you that if you take Wilma Karma, I'm gonna cry.  She's a great dog and she will be an excellent pet for you.  If you don't take her I will have to adopt her and then I can't foster any more dogs for six months. Sigh. What a dilemma.

Thanks for reading!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I had a neighbor whose rescue dog had the problem of not wanting to come back to her when she left the dog park. He would run to the far side and evade her. Here's how she solved that one:

Every time she left the dog park, she started giving her dogs each a really tasty, delicious, amazing treat when they were between the two gates on the way out. Now, they all come running when they see her head that direction, including that one who used to stay at the far edge of the dog park, to get their tasty treat (a piece of cheese or hot dog or chicken).

She also trained the dog to come to her when she blew a whistle to get a tasty treat, too. That way, she can catch them when necessary or call them away from trouble.

Michelle R. Grade said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Michelle R. Grade said...

Thank you for your kind suggestion. I'm glad, for your neighbor that that worked safely. Sadly, not all dogs are food motivated - hard to imagine by yes, quite true.

Secondly, I've been bringing treats to the dog park in an effort to keep my dogs with me. In my mind this is a crime and will not be attempting such again. Not only do my dogs not stay with me but I get everybody else's dogs as well. I'm not a big fan of Ginger ripping thru my coat pocket in order to get to a treat.

Additionally, this is one the surest ways to start a dog fight with a food possessive dog. This morning (12/12) I witnessed a fight between a "regular's" dog and mine over a tennis ball. My foster is quite possibly the most non-aggressive fixed male dog I've ever had. Because this dog provoked the altercation, he had no choice but to defend himself.

Thankfully nobody, man, woman or dog, was hurt in our attempt to thwart this fight.

Again, I'm glad that this "really tasty, delicious, amazing treat" "trick" works for your neighbor with no ill effects. I'd rather err to the side of caution and keep a six foot leash on my dog.

Thanks again.

None said...

Hey Shelly!
Karl and I are now known as the odd-ball couple that goes to the dog park every day no matter what. So believe me, I know how you feel.

We are also some of the only ones that actually walk around. That might be due in part to the fact that Karl actually stays with me. The other dogs end up following us too and I don't even bring treats!

Hope that Fuzz feels better!
Nicole and Karl