Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Lions and Tigers and Bears, OH MY

Today has been quite the day.  First Wilma-Karmajane went exploring at 600 this morning in the drizzle which became pouring rain.  Not to worry, she came back after a few minutes.  Scary just the same.  She's hung pretty close to me the rest of the day.

Next, I discover that there may be some "Lucky" family getting "Coal" for Christmas.  I'm thrilled for him.  He's ready to move on to his furever home. He's such a good little boy.

I took the kids to school and after I got back home, Fuzz-Trooper would not get out of the car. So, I left him there.  I figured the rest of his day wasn't going to be up to him so I gave him a little control of his surroundings.

Before we left, Wilma-Karmajane decided that Fuzz-Trooper needed some canine support for his upcoming treatment and she jumped into the open car door in the closed garage.  No problem. 

Until the thunder started.

If you are reading this because you'd like to learn more about Wilma-Karmajane, let me tell you that she's NOT a big fan of thunderstorms.  She rode in the car standing up from The Lodge to HAWS with her tail stuck so far between her legs that it was touching her belly.  Her eyes were as big as saucers and she breathing like she'd run a marathon.

I took Fuzz-Trooper in to HAWS to have them administer the heartworm treatment.  Friends, let me tell you that to watch the dogs go thru treatment is the most heart-wrenching, humbling experience.  Within an hour of getting home, he was pacing and uncomfortable. He laid on the floor, then pace. He'd lay on the couch, then pace.  He'd lay on the dog blankets, then pace.  He was in the family room, in the living room, upstairs, downstairs.  There was no place he was comfortable.

The pain has gotten much worse and he's very uncomfortable.  He's not a big eater to begin with and this experience is not helping.  I put and egg, some cheese and a little sour cream on his dinner and he only ate about half of it. 

No, I'm not looking forward to the rest of the week.  Even with a whole Rimadyl in his system, the pain is pretty bad. I received two emails from other foster friends, one with our rescue, one with a Labrador rescue and both said the same thing.  They spent the first days of their foster dog's treatments holding the dogs and crying with them.  If you've ever had a friend or a loved one go thru a round of Chemo, you know how debilitating it is. The only difference is that, in my experience with this, there is no vomiting. 

Please friends, I know that vaccinations for kids and dogs are a HUGE hot button issue, but if you could see the dog laying on my floor wondering why he feels so crummy, if you could come with me tomorrow for his second shot, you'd know why I plead so desperately for you to keep up with your dog's regular veterinary checks and to yes, purchase the heartworm preventative when the doctor suggests it.  Please.

Meanwhile, it's nearly nine pm and Wilma-Karmajane, Lucky-Coal and Mocha are fighting with a toy.  There is a lot of growling but the most is from our little boy, Lucky-Coal, who we've affectionately named Mouth Two because he's so much like our previous Mouth, Sid-Riley.

Oh wait, fight's over.

Ah, Mocha has the toy and its silent again. 

Good night!

No comments: