Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Wilma-Karma and The Dog Park

I know, by now you're wondering if you'll get to see some pictures of our girl Wilma Karma running and playing at the dog park or anywhere.

Well... not yet.

She's still pretty unsure of her surroundings and honestly, I'm afraid to put myself behind the camera just to get a dazzling image of her leaping over a fence.

I can tell you that in the house, she's a crazy maniac. Today she, and Te'a and Mocha played race and chase and roll the rugs up. It got pretty loud in here.

She's been running up and down the stairs like she's been doing it her whole life. She's ok with the cats, she wants to eat Hawkie but then Hawkie is dumb enough to lay down in front of her. She is housetrained.  We're three days in and no accidents.


Today we took a trip to Cottage Grove to check out a dog park over there.  I know, kind of a haul just to go to the dog park.  But, my brother lives there and we hung out for a bit.

You may or may not remember from previous blogs that my brother is 6'5".  He's been on a kind of holiday and hasnt shaved in over a week so he's lookin' pretty grisly.  When WK, Wilma-Karma, first met him she was like, "Uh, no.  Not going near the scary man."

We took separate cars to the dog park.

Once inside, I held her leash and kept her at a loose heel and she seemed to be ok.  That is until she saw the heron in the water. She wanted to chase it.  There was no fence on the other side of the pond and I wasn't about to attempt to go sprinting down Hwy. N after her. 

When she saw the ducks in the water, it was all I could do to hang onto her leash.  Ok, well, I guess she's some sort of hunting dog mix.

After a while, I got brave and dropped the leash.  She ran and she ran and she ran and she ran.  She stole Te'a's ball and ran circles around us until we were all dizzy. 

She even sniffed the back of my brother's knee - sort of.

She did great at the dog park today and in the days to come she'll do even better.  I'm sure it can't be easy learning to trust humans but I think we can make it work.

For now, she and Harley-Teddy are laying on the couch together and everybody is sleeping off their morning exercise. 

Ahh, a tired dog is a good dog.  Thanks, Cesar!

1 comment:

Logan said...

Saw Wilma on Petfinder and wound up here - it sounds like she's coming out of her shell!

I'm looking at adopting this fall-winter...I would love to keep hearing about her in case she hasn't found her furever home by then.

Thanks for taking such great care of her!

Logan
loganzinman@gmail.com