Thursday, June 16, 2011

When it Rains, it Pours...

My grandparents were all farmers so rain, for them, for the most part was a good thing.  Unless it came down in torrents and washed out and ruined the crops.

This week I'm feeling a bit like my crops are getting washed out.

See, after being here at The Lodge for six months, Kringle-Carlos has an application.  His whole family is coming on Saturday to meet him.  I'm looking forward to him moving on to his furever family but I know that there's going to be a big yorkie hole here at The Lodge for a while.  From what I understand, his new family has a yorkie and would like make their family a bigger one.  Carlos can certainly do that for him.  Even at thirteen pounds, there are times when he seems larger than life.  Everyone is amazed that he does so well at the big dog area at the dog park. 

I am looking forward to meeting them all. If he likes them and they like him, he will have a golden retriever/husky for an older brother as well.  Hopefully all those new distractions will make the transition easier from The Lodge to his new home.

I hope they have toadies in their yard.

I also found out that another family put in an application for Winsor Finnie.  Its not officially official yet so I probably said too much.  What would make it officially official you ask?  Well, I'll tell you.  Once the application is submitted and the potential adopter includes the application fee, it's go time.

The process begins with a vet check to make sure that the adopter has been current with heartworm medicine (a MUST here in WI & IL).  Once that goes through, a volunteer will be dispatched and arrangements will be made to do a home visit at the adopter's home.  Just want to make sure the yard is safe from things that could hurt the doggie.  You know, a shark pit, hazardous chemicals, a meth lab (as opposed to a yellow or a chocolate) - things like that.

If the family is approved, and if the family rents, an approval from the landlord to have a dog, a time is set up to meet the doggie at the foster's house.

I know it may seem like a lot but these dogs have been rescued from a poor existence (or lack of existence - Hello Blue Juice) and we want the best possible future for them.

So, there you have my Pouring Rain story.  It's a tad bittersweet, but there is a very real possibly that by July First The Lodge will only have two dogs - the original labradors.  Scott and I were talking about it and we figured we've had four dogs (or more for a while) since November.  To be down to two will be strange - I'll probably only have to vaccuum once a week.  How strange will that be??

Strange but wonderful!  Think of all the dogs we've saved since then.

Missy aka Ramona
Coco aka Willy aka Rocco
Carter aka Carter aka Carter :)
Sid aka "Mouth" aka Riley
Seamus aka Henry aka Henry

and if all goes well...

Kringle aka Carlos aka Carlos
Winsor aka Finn aka ??

Thanks for thinking foster!  Have a great day!

No comments: