Saturday, September 11, 2010

Sharon Tinsley Dog Exercise Area, Johnson Creek, WI

Not that I don't like the new, now a year old, dog park at Nashotah, but sometimes we all need a little change of venue.  I took Kiera to school and took the pack over the the Dog Exercise Area off Hwy. 26 in Johnson's Creek. 

I have to say I was a little apprehensive to take the leash off of Axe.  See, when we go to Nashotah, he follows everybody but me.  He's getting better about coming back to me when I call him, clap my hands and squat down (ok all of that almost works every time) but the dog park at "Crick" much much larger and I can't keep my eyes on him at all times.  So to start out, I held his "leash" (10 feet of clothesline with a clip attached) for the first 100 yards. 

Then I decided that he probably wasn't going to go anywhere so I dropped the leash.  After untangling him for the 11-teenth time, I just took the leash off of him.  I'm pretty sure he was thinking that he died and went on to Rainbow Bridge.  There were so many smells and so much of the landscape to mark!!

The mowed path is about 8 feet wide with tall grass growing on either side so I think that helped in keeping him with me.  That, and I think he's "getting it" as related to being a part of a family pack. 

There were other dogs there but he was quite the gentleman and behaved himself.  Even asserted himself on a dog twice his size when Beowolf (names have been changed to protect the innocent) tried to force himself on Te'a.  She snarled at Beowolf and Axe ran to her aid and cut the other boy off. 

Axe made a couple of new friends as well.  A cute little girl who was part border collie and part whippet.  They ran and chased and chased and ran. 

By the time we got home, everybody was pretty tired.  I've been sick with some sort of a chest cold for the past week so I've been doing some pretty heavy duty napping.  Axe likes to lay with his chin on my forehead, or my neck or my tummy.  Such a good boy.  He'll make such a good family pet...in a month...after his Heartworm treatment on Tuesday. 

More on that later!

On with the show! (double click to enjoy larger!)


PS - Don't tell Lori, although I'm sure she already knows anyway.... There is a pretty strict leash law for foster dogs of Fluffy Dog Rescue - that is, they are supposed to be on one at all times.  We've rescued them for Pete's sake, hate to have 'em run away again.  I've been getting more comfortable with dropping Axe's leash and yesterday after the dog park, took him out without one at all.  I also figured his was completely exhausted and would probably just go pee and come right back to me. Which he did.  I wouldn't however try this if he hasn't had a walk OR been to the dog park. I'd probably not catch him til Dane County!

No comments: