Monday, August 30, 2010

Axel Goes Camping!!

Well, Fluffy Friends, we went for possibly our last trip of the season this weekend and of course, took our boy Axel along. I have to say that he was pretty confused watching all the stuff get piled into the cooler, the food box, the dog fud box, and into the camper.



He rides quite nicely in the car except somewhere around the three hour mark where he got a little restless and hopped up into my lap. But then who can fault him, we were all a little restless by that point.


I was a little worried about him sleeping in the tent without us and just with the kids. Ok, I was very worried that he would bark and irritate the neighbors all night. But alas, my worry was for naught, he was too tired to move once he got in the tent. (Scott and I slept in the camper for the first time - it was quite comfortable - we'll have to invest in the proper sized mattress but it was quite comfy.)


We went on lots of walks and even towards the end of our stay at our Beautiful Lake Wissota, he and Te'a played quite heartily with the tugger rope. He spent the entire weekend with my six year old niece and my friend Judy's seven year old daughter, lovin' on him the entire time. He ate it up with a silver spoon. My brother also made him feel loved and wound up with Axel in his lap for his efforts. Steve also started calling him "Roscoe" - You know from Dukes of Hazzard fame, Roscoe P. Coltrane.


Axel's physical wounds are almost healed. Just a few little scabs remain. Hopefully the hair will grow back behind his ears, where the cone-o-shame rubbed, and on his ankles/heels. Other than that, he's perfect.


He is recovering nicely from his surgery last week and none of us are looking forward to the imprisonment (?), quarantine (?), incarceration (?), down time of heartworm treatment. He gets a bit anxious when left and starts to bark and carry on. I can't spend my days by the side of the kennel but I'm sure we'll come up with some sort of solution.


In the meantime, we'll get in lots of exercise and maybe he'll enjoy his rest time, for a month. Yeah, maybe not.





No comments: