Friday, February 5, 2010

She's a Dog!!

Dear Fluffy Friends,

Let me preface this posting by saying get a couple tissues, cuz you're gonna need 'em.

I can't believe what a change this dog has accomplished in three days. Three Days. Truthfully it was probably there all along but I was the one who wasn't ready to give her the space she needed to become who she is.

After my latest leap of faith, I have a dog who used to be afraid of just about everything on the planet. Wouldn't walk. Wouldn't move. Wouldn't do anything but quiver and quake in the crate. Ah, scratch that she did do other things in her crate. Eww. Click to read of our first days with Bella.

Today I am presented with another dog. Beautiful. Smart - no, not smart - Intelligent. Graceful. Fast, Insanely Fast. Relaxed. Bouncing. Leaping. Amazing. And she corners like no other.

This morning went for a walk on our usual route only instead of the usual leash, I put Bella on the leash with the clothesline attached. When we got to the field, she and the other doggies were just about out of their minds to go tearing across the field and play with somebody's dog who was (unsuccessfully) hunting mice. First Mocha took off like a shot and since I had dropped Bella's leash first, she was on Mo's heels like a house on fire. Amazing. After they chased the other dog around for a while, Mo hung around and smelled the smells that were there and Bella...Bella came running back to me at full dead on run. She came within about six inches of me and dashed around behind.

I walked thru the fields and Bella stayed at my heel most of the time except when the big doggies did something particularly intriguing to her. Then she trotted over to investigate but always, always came running back to me.

We walked on the street for a bit to get to the path that crosses over the "crick". Something spooked her and she had a wierd look on her face but it faded fast enough. She ran ahead a couple times to be with Mo and Te' but always always came right back to me. If I stopped she would make BIG circles around me and smell what was going on but always came back to me. She even ran ahead to find the big doggies when they walked off the trail, saw where they were and came dashing back to me.

Outstanding.

I've just come in from about 40 minutes of running and romping outside in the snow. Again they ran and ran and ran and ran. She played with me for a bit and then Te'a was more interesting and chased her around the yard. She is unbelieveably fast. She also performed several amazing acrobatic bouncing feats that have earned her breed the title of Bouncing Beardies. The neighbor saw it this morning and just laughed. I said, no, that's actually pretty breed specific. They are herding dogs and "bounce" to see over the sheep to keep track of everybody. Phenomenal.

She has also discovered her bark. Yesterday at the dog park, she barked at Te'a. Stu and Dot were there, they heard it. How great (and simple) to be so excited over something as ordinary as a bark. Tonight when Bella and Te'a were wrestling over a stick (yes, really), Bella barked at her. I think it surprised all three of them because everything stopped for what seemed like an eternity. They were all kind of looking at each other like, did you hear that?? Huh.

After our walk this morning, we were playing in the front yard when Karen and Angel walked by. Of course they came in and played with the crew. Interesting dynamic occurred. Angel is a Golden Retriever who is about 80 - 85#. Bella probably weighs 45# soaking wet. Bella is a retired puppy mill breeding dog who is just now learning what most dogs learned a loooong time ago. Angel has been with her family since puppyhood. Bella asserted her dominance TWICE by mounting Angel. Granted Angel is pretty submissive. but still, makes you think.

She also tried to herd Te'a by chomping onto her achilles. Te'a wasn't a big fan of that and advised Bella of such. Its been a great dog day here at The Lodge. Dogs were wrestling like dogs. Dogs doing their business outside for three days straight. HALLELUJAH.

Also, one other dog thing that Bella is doing that is noteworthy. She's picking up sticks in the yard and chewing on them. She's also playing tug with the big doggies.

As I type, she is sitting at the end of the hall at the top of the stairs waiting for me. How cool is that?

How cool is that.

Thanks for reading.

3 comments:

Judy said...

Outstanding really isn't quite a strong enough word for this post..

but I can't come up with another.

It's reeeeeealllly cool!

Congratulations!

Fluffy Dogs On The Go said...

I'm in tears.........nothing else to say........

Unknown said...

Nice work with Issabella! A very moving story and beautifully written. We are currently searching for a new family member, having lost our beloved dog a few months ago. We are very interested in Issabella, but want to be very sure that we are the right family for her (and suspect that we might be). Interestingly, our 11 year old daughter's name is also Isabella! Of course, she's taking that as "sign". :) I will fill out the application and hope to hear from you soon. Hugs to Issabella!