Sunday, February 21, 2010

Leaps and Beardie Bounds

Hi All. Well, I know you're all holding your collective breath to see how my weekend was. We are still waiting patiently to meet Bella's forever family. The timing is just not working out right now. That's ok 'cuz that means I get to keep her and move her more forward for you.

Yesterday afternoon we hit the dog park late at Nashotah. I tell you that dog gets more and more affectionate with me each time we go. She follows me around the park. Some may call it "heeling", some may call it "herding". I just call it good because I don't have to worry about her. We haven't gone the the dog park in the winter at 400pm before, probably because it got dark so early . So, now that we have a little more daylight, we were able to stay a little later.

We made some new friends. Like Diane with her two Rotties that she bought a bigger camper for because the old one was just too small for them. Cute doggies. One of them was even a retired puppy mill breeding dog like our own Bella-Boo. She told us how she worked with her dog and the trials they went thru to get her to be a "normal" dog. I'm right there with ya, sister.

Bella will still have an accident? an on purpose? in the house when I drag the vaccuum out. No problem. We'll get there. Rome wasn't built in a day and I can't undo three and a half years of neglect in six months.

Bella has been ranging further away from me at the parks as well. She'll run out at top speed, leash flying and come tearing back just as fast. If we are standing around talking, she'll jump on me. Yes, SHE WILL JUMP ON ME and beg for attention. She did it yesterday and she did it again today. So amazing.

For a while today we were standing around talking, like always and for a while Bella hung around a my feet. Scott had the Flinger and was throwing the tennis ball for Te'a. All of the sudden, Bella decided that she wanted a part of that as well. So she took off chasing Te' through the snow and weeds. Amazing.

The leash, which I use to keep control on her when its' time to leave, was half-dragging, half flying behind her. I decided that I would see if I could take the leash off of her and still manage to leave in under four hours. As soon as that leash came off, she flew through the snow. Up and down the hills, round and round and round, chasing every doggie that came near to us. We started walking again and there she was, back at my heel. But still, she would range out a little bit and see what Mocha was up to but then come right back. Outstanding.

No, nobody else can get a hand on her. Connor tried to get her to jump on him but she wouldn't. Furever Family, I know that when you meet Bella (and Molly Polly), you'll love her forever. She is one amazing dog.

Oh, and yes, I did put the leash back on because I really wasn't in the mood to go chasing her all around the dog park at Jefferson at 400 in the afternoon. She sat right down for me and let me love on her and clip on the leash.

We are back home and ready for sleep - they played really hard. Bella? Bella is laying in her new favorite hiding spot, under my dining room table, doing what she does best in the house. Just watchin' the world go by.

Oh, and...here's a little PS for you longtime readers. If you remember last year at this time we had welcomed Shandy Chancey into our home. I got an email from his mom today and said that while she would love to get a good picture of him for us, it was almost impossible because he is soooo fluffy, but she would try. When I get it I will pass it along to you. Just between you and me, I can't wait to see him either in person or in photo.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

We've been keeping up with your blog and are so excited that Issabella is doing well! We are very, very interested in adopting her and hope to see her in person soon. We've been researching rehabilitation of puppy mill dogs and although we know it isn't easy or quick, we feel that we can provide her with a family who will love her. We hope to meet you soon!