Thursday, November 12, 2009

The Best Laid Plans of Mice and Men Oft Go Awry

Well, we made it to the dogpark three days in a row. That's right, a canine trifecta! Bella was in heaven. She even drank out of the community water bucket. Wow! And eww.

But this week we've had some sort of backsliding. We in the Fluffy Dog Rescue Beardie Circle call it the Beardie Shuffle. You know, one step forward, two steps back.

It's using the puppy pads and puddles and piles on the floor, again. So, it's been back to carrying her outside again. I'm really developing some great core strength.

Nobody got a walk Monday morning before I went to work but Tuesday morning everybody went. I decided that she needed to get out and see the world, doggone it! So I leashed her up and out the door we went.

Now, I know that Kris is sitting at her lovely Illinois home and she's anticipating a good belly whopper. I can't let her down.

We kind of created a leash out of clothesline and a retractable leash. Seemed like a good idea at the time. Scott (usually) ties really good knots. This was not the case.

One good pull and she was on her way up the driveway and to the front door. Well, at least I've learned NOT to panic anymore. I still cuss like a damn sailor on leave when she zips away from me but I don't panic.

She wanted to go in the front door and I was pretty sure it was locked. In my effort to get my wayward dog back in the house, I put my hand on the knob and willed it to unlock. It opened!

Ok, so I forgot to lock it after Connor left.

I opened the door and used that little metal tabby thing to hold the storm door open. And .... a cat zipped out. I was pretty frustrated by this point. I almost threw the cat back in the house, but I didn't.

After a lot of coaxing and waiting, she came back in the house. I closed the door, got a better leash and then I got the matching reflecto leash to the ones Mocha and Te'a use. Yes, two leashes.

I clipped one leash to her collar and one to her harness. One good pull and her collar came off. Note to self, need to tighten that. Corralled her again.

Made it down the end of the driveway and around the edge of the yard and she gave one mighty pull and slipped out of the collar, again. And then, in her sheer nervousness, she...pooped. Ok, well, at least it's outside.

Our walk was uneventful. Blessedly.

We walked yesterday morning and this morning at our usual pre-break of dawn time. I've got to brush up on my constellations but Orion is always right there at the end of the driveway waiting for me. Yesterday I was very uncomfortable, well, nervous. Will she slip out of the harness today? I hope we're done with that endeavour.

Today I was a little more comfortable but still not completely trusting. Yesterday she lagged behind me and the big doggies. Today she was next to me and then on the last leg of the walk, was pulling my arm out of the socket. I think she and Te'a were trying send me to the hospital by dislocating my arm. They had their heads together and they were wagging their tails, bobbing their heads and looking back and grinning. I kid you not. Te'a will have her turned into a dog and corrupted yet. Hooray!

I'm planning on heading over to the dog park today, just me with the three dogs. Should be worth a laugh. Do I have any idea how I'm going to carry Bella in and hold on to Mocha and Te'a's leashes at the same time? Of course I have a plan. But you know what things they say about plans. 1. The best laid plans of mice and men oft go awry. 2. If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans. I don't make a lot of plans, I'm more of a fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants girl. But when I do make plans, God usually keeps an eye on me and He's usually laughing at the predicaments I get myself into. Yeah well, it wouldn't be a good story if you weren't laughing by the end of it, right?

Thanks again for reading. Please pass this along to your friends who love doggies as much as you do. Furever family, if you are out there, know that we're working hard to get your girl ready for you.

1 comment:

Judy said...

Can you start calling me in the morning b4 you go out so I can stalk you? I could use a good laugh in the morning! Would you bring tea to me while I wait in the car?~stike that, you'd be running to fast to keep it in the cup! LOL!!!!!!