Saturday, September 26, 2009

Iz Safe Here...


So I'm a dog person. If you've known me for more than five minutes you probably know that. Taking on the foster dog challenge seemed like the right thing to do for me. However, this foster dog is more of a challenge than I was expecting.

It seems so out of character for a dog to be sooo reticent, reclusive. And, really it is. Dogs are by nature social creatures which is why they live in packs. In these packs there are heirarchies sort of like what we have. A pecking order if you will. The young are nurtured by all and raised to be successful pack members.

This beautiful little Bella so wants to be part of a pack but is really struggling with the fear of the past. Yesterday morning, Mocha and Te'a were wrestling IN THE LIVINGROOM - ARRGH and I told them to go in the other room and do that. Well, unbeknownst to me, Miss Bella was crawling around her kennel for a better view of those maniacs, her little naked and scabbed ears perked up and watching every little move. "Oh - never mind, keep wrestling."

She's curious about the other dogs but not curious enough to overcome the fear. In the afternoon, Te'a could stand it no more and walked near enough to the crate when Bella was thinking about coming out. Te'a did everything she could to entice little Bella out of the crate. She perked her ears, she held her tail high and she wagged. Of course since I was in the room, Bella froze where she was. Te'a even went as far as "bowing" to Bella to indicate in dog body posture that she wanted to play. She was working so hard at convincing Bella to come and play. No dice, sista. Te'a gave up eventually with a harrumph and came and laid on my lap on the couch.

Mocha went over too to try and pick up where Te'a left off. Mocha is a bit more imposing and likes to "talk" when she meets new "people." I was a little afraid of what she might say and she did ok, but still no Bella. She too came over and sat on the floor with a harrumph. Working with my pack to get Bella more comfortable is kind of a double edged sword. They want to be with me, touching me and I want to convice Bella it's all ok. Bella wants to be with them but sees me and says, "No dice, sista. I ain't comin' out for no people no how."

At the advice of another Fluffy Dog foster mom, Kathleen (Hi Kathleen!) we left the kennel open all night last night. Hoping Bella would come out and explore the house while we all slept. Well, criminy, I was like a kid at Christmas. I had gone to bed at 730 because my mouth was aching from the new orthodontia (only have a few months to go I'm told) but I woke up about 100am because of a wierd coyote dream.

I heard Bella down stairs kind of scrabbling around and she was actually walking not sliding like she had done before. I laid there for a good hour trying to go back to sleep and willing myself NOT to leave my bed. Maybe just one little peek...

She heard me coming and slid her way back into the kennel faster than you could say "There goes John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt - da da da da da da da". I had turned the hall light on and thought saw a little treasure on the floor so I thought I should probably clean that up before she walked thru it. Turns out there were two little treasures and a couple of lakes. There ain't nuthin' wrong with this dog's digestive system. Wow.

Within minutes Scott was downstairs as well and we joked later that it was really hard not coming down to check on her. Connor thinks he heard her on the landing of the stairs - I can't confirm or deny that.

Another of the Beardie foster parents have also started a blog to keep all of our prospective dog owners updated on their antics and I'd like you to check theirs out too. It is www.wolfedenfoster.blogspot.com and they have Cassie, one of Bella's Missouri "sibs". Welcome aboard guys, glad to have you along!

Thanks again for reading!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, so how comes you got the tough case?! You are earning your wings to quote Clarence in "It's a Wonderful Life".

Michelle R. Grade said...

ding ding

mybeardedcollie said...

Bella sweety, you have alot of people on the Yahoo Beardie List routing for you .... go girl!