Thursday, July 16, 2009

Vacation! Camping in the Wilds of Wisconsin

In the words of the immortal Jerry Garcia, "What a long strange trip it's been." Probably wasn't the same kind of trip, but it's been strange none-the-less.

But I've gotten ahead of myself. Today Mom is recovering from our whirlwind tour of Wisconsin so she asked me to write the blog, edit the photos and post them all for her. No small feat when you don't have opposable thumbs. That mouse is tricky to operate.

Last week my family was crazy. Rushing around, shuffling papers, making lists, bags of clothes and assorted stuff piling up in the hallway. Even my canine siblings were ancy. There was a bag with stuff just for us! What?? Phone calls were made, extra vaccuuming, extra food everywhere - SOMEBODY PLEASE TELL ME WHAT'S GOING ON???

Finally, when I could take it no longer, we get in the car. All of that and we're just going in the car? But wait, who is that guy who is following too close behind our car? He's like trailing us. It's almost like he's attached somehow. All right, well whatever.

Our journey started out at Auntie Kristin's house. Her human baby was baptised and we were invited to the celebration. Auntie Kristin also has a Border Collie named Lily - Mom tried to get some photos of the two of us together but we were too fast! Mom and Dad agreed that I do look very much like both breeds - the labs and the border collie. Neat to see both represented.

After we left Auntie Kristin's we spent our first night on the open road. We're going to sleep where? Oh, that guy who was following us is our house? Interesting...

The next morning we packed our house and got back in the car. We arrived at our new home, Council Grounds State Park in Merrill, WI. I highly recommend it if you are a camper. Nice clean bathrooms for the humans and yes, flush toilets and showers, if you are into that kind of thing. They are located on the Wisconsin River and we did a little swimming there.

The people in my family were acting wierd again the next morning. Then Mom was on the phone talking to someone about a visit. She was very, very anxious but soo excited. "What if he doesn't remember us?" she asked Dad.

Who? Who is he? Shortly after that we got back in the car and drove some more. Mom wanted to hit a store in Rhinelander called Foster's and Smith. When she came back out she smelled like treats - YUM! We drove around Rhinelander for a while and saw some scary creature called a Hodag. Um...eww.

After the humans had lunch and checked out a local CCC museum, we were back in the car. The humans were again getting more and more nervous by the moment. What is going on??

At last we pulled into a driveway and got out of the car. Where are we? Suddenly this grey and white Fluffy Tailed guy comes down the path and says Hello. Everybody was laughing and smiling and sniffing. Oh, this is Chance. I've smelled his smell in our house. Finally get to meet him in person. Mom said he looked so handsome. His hair is very short except for his tail and his ears.

Mom said he was so settled and just between us, who wouldn't be settled after a daily six mile run and boatrides here and there. Set me up.

We dogs ran down to the lake and into the water. We spent a lot of time running around being crazy at Chancey's house. The four of us were pretty crazy. We even got Chance to talk. He was soo crazy - him mom was really surprised when she heard him "carrying on." Just another day at the Lodge. He's a pretty cool guy and his family is wonderful. I'd like to have a family like that too! Just between you and me, one of the kids at Chance's house really would have liked to adopt me but she is leaving for college soon and there really isn't a place for smallish black doggies on campus. I would like a family of my own with some kids too.

We left late that night and I know us dogs slept all the way back to our campsite. That was so much fun. Before I drifted off, I heard Mom say to Dad, "He remembered us! He realized who Kiera was first, then Connor, and you, then me."

But alas, as they have to, all good things must come to an end. We arrived home last night and slept in our own beds. Mom and Dad were so happy. Apparently those pads in the camper aren't what they used to be.

I had a good time travelling. I settled down and slept in the car. I stayed in the campsite but occasionally wandered but then so did Mocha and Te'a. There was sooo much to do. There were sticks to chew on EVERYWHERE. I bet I chewed a dozen different sticks. I'm still getting my adult dog teeth and I will be kind of chewy for a while but I never chew on things that aren't for me to chew.

Mom was a little concerned about how her two foster boys would be together but in the end, we got a long splendidly.

Now, I've talked a lot here for you. I suppose you are interested in seeing some of the three hundred photos Mom took. (She tends to get a little crazy). The first set of photos are just me and the family. The second set are of Chance - Mom thought you'd all like to see how "gorgeous" he is with his new "do". Whatever Mom, sheesh.

Thank you for thinking rescue. If you have room in your life for a 45# black and white bor-ador doggie, please fill out an application for me. I love kids and I am a young doggie with enough energy to keep them busy for a while. My first birthday is coming (in September) and if I could have one wish it would be to have a family with kids and a doggie sibling of my own before I turn one! Although, it is pretty nice here and Mom has promised me a party with cake if I am still here. But she's hopeful that my Furever Family will come for me before that time.

Please be sure to check out all the pictures! There are vacation photos of me and vacation photos of Chancey after that.

Thanks again for thinking rescue!

No comments: