Saturday, January 16, 2010

The Update You've been Waiting for....

Well, Fluffy Fans.... we're making awesome progress over here at the Lodge. Bella has become less of a potted plant in the past two weeks and more like a milkweed fluff that travels in the breeze. I was attributing this new found courage to having our pal Emma in the house but it looks like it's here to stay.

The other morning when Scott got up, she was sleeping at the top of the stairs. She's been getting braver and braver and is laying down upstairs if I'm up here too. When I get up in the morning and Scott is already downstairs, Bella will be laying at the top of the stairs. If I'm careful and ooze out of bed and crawl to my bedroom doorway, she'll come over to me and love on me in full on body wag.

Though this is all good news we still have backsliding issues. I worked yesterday and didn't get home til late-ish to let everybody out. Bella has been peeing on the stairs and left that for me again - thanks. So I dragged the little green machine out and proceeded to clean up the piddle. Of course, once she heard that she flipped out and ran into Mocha's kennel and pooped. And stepped in it. And laid in it.

Amy, thanks for the offer of a groom at LA Groom for my doggie but I don't think you would have wanted to hang around at 5 on a Friday, but I had to give her a bath myself. She probably didn't need a complete bath but she smelled pretty doggie so I washed the whole dog. And conditioned her as well.

Kiera has this blond shampoo that is supposed to make your blond hair blonder so figuring Bella has a white head, I used that. Besides, Kiera thinks it smells like pickles anyway and refuses to use it. Again, I figured Bella probably isn't too worried about smelling like a pickle so I used that up. Once I got her completely waterlogged, she looked so pathetic. I would have Scott taken some pictures but I don't usually stay too dry either when I give doggie baths so would not make for good blog material. First I lathered her up and then I used the matching conditioner on her to really make her "real purrty".

She is soo fluffy today and smells like heaven. Not at all like pickles or stinky winter dog. I may have to give the other two goofballs a bath.

So, what to do on a mild January Saturday morning with a clean doggie? Take 'er to the dog park and stink her back up again!!!

I put her leash on her and yes, dragged her out of her corner, and walked her to the garage door. The overhead door was closed and the car door was open so I opened the garage door and told her to go get in the car. And she did. She was completely bananas on that short 15 minute trip over to Nashotah Park. Once we turned onto Hwy. C, she was in my lap. Yes, MY LAP. Thankfully she smelled awesome (and not like pickles).

After we parked the car and proceeded to get out, the big doggies tore out of the car and to the gate. Scott had to encourage her to get out of the car but once she was, she almost tore his arm off to get to the gate. Once inside the park, she tore around like a maniac like we've NEVER EVER seen before. She ran and ran and ran and ran. And once she was done running, she ran some more. It wasn't even just the casual loping we've seen so far but flat-out, dead-on, chasing other dogs RUN.

SHE EVEN HERDED MOCHA. Nipped her in her achilles, her neck and her butt. She bounced she pranced and carried on!! And then she ran some more. She played with more dogs more crazily than we've ever seen before. Scott summed it up when he said, "Something's changed."

Bella's baby buddy, Leroy showed up today too. Oh-my-gosh is he getting big. Tried the ol' I'm-gonna-take-you-for-a-walk-with-your-purple-leash-in-my-mouth game but again Bella let him know that she wasn't quite interested in that.

When it came time to leave, I had to encourage her to move towards the gate but that was shortlived. After two short stops, she walked right to the gate and in she went. She followed me to the car and I gave the command, "Get Up," and up she went into the car. And no, the command isn't nearly as fierce as it sounds. And, yes, its ALWAYS followed by praise, praise, praise.

As I type, she is sitting at the top of the stairs just listening to the children bicker about whatever it is they are bickering about.

So furever family, if you are out there reading this, your dog is doing well. She can't wait to meet you and learn your habits and teach you some new ones. She's coming around and continues to do the Beardie Shuffle - two steps forward, one step back. But mostly she is moving forward, slowly.

And, she smells good (and not like pickles).

2 comments:

Fluffy Dogs On The Go said...

Fantastic!
She is coming around
We all knew you could do it
Kris & Crew

Judy said...

This is one of the best posts yet! Way to go Bella (well and you guys!) !!