Monday, November 10, 2008

Monday Morning - Our Odyssey Begins

So it all began four years ago when we adopted Mocha from L.E.A.R.N. (Labrador Education And Rescue Network). We became fast friends with Stewart and Patti, Mocha's foster parents. "Would you be interested in Fostering" they asked, dangling it in front of us like some sort of squeaky toy. We thought about it but decided that we should probably see how well it worked out with Mocha and our dog Andie before we made commitments.

Time passed and all was working splendidly. We considered it but then, put it back on the back burner. We didn't think it would be fair to Andie-girl. Poor thing had already been displaced by two children and this crazy brown dog that ate everything in sight AND kept running away making Mom and Dad CRAZY with worry.

As everyone knows, our dear, dear friend Andie went on to Rainbow Bridge earlier this spring. She had developed cancer which spread to her brain causing tumors which caused seizures. She was greeted there by her sisters, Murphy and Callie and later this fall joined by their mom, M&M.

All of us were crushed. I'm not sure who took it worse, Scott or Mocha. Scott had never had a dog before and Andie being his first dog left a pretty big bowl to fill. Mocha, who was most likely someones kennel dog, was abused and was never properly socialized took "good dog" lessons from Andie who was the most awesome dog.

Two weeks passed after we said goodbye to our friend (although we are still finding Andie hair in the carpet and on jackets we haven't worn since last winter) and we knew that between the humans and Mocha we were going to need find another family member.

We found Tea' at Elmbrook Humane Society
. She was listed as a black lab. Somewhere around the six month mark; however, she stopped growing. At roughly eleven months old, Tea' has "topped out" at about 60#. She also looks, and sounds, suspiciously Beagle-esque. We're not 100% sure but we're calling her a "beagle-dor" whenever we're asked about her.

So that's our story so far...

I was thinking of adopting another dog. I know, and anybody who knows me, even just a little bit, knows that I have a bigger heart for animals than I do a brain. I've been thinking about a Chihuahua for some time and checked out
see if I could find one. Of course it didn't take long before I found one that was the cutest but alas found out later that she had already been adopted.

In the meantime, I surfed Petfinder for other chihuahua's and came across the Fluffy Dog Rescue
based out of Hartland. Hmmmm....I've been to their website before when I was looking for a Portuguese Water Dog and realized that the price tag was a little more than I wanted to spend for a dog. I checked them out thinking that maybe if I got a Labradoodle or some such doodle it would be a close enough match.

On their website their is a little ditty down in the lower right hand corner. It suggests that if you interested in fostering to send the director an email. All righty...here we go. Wouldn't you know, some fabulous dog person called me Sunday night. Her question to me was, "When do you want to start?"

Um, gulp!

So today I am filling out our foster application, etc., etc., etc.

As time goes by I'll add some pics and stats of who our guests are but right now I'm going to get cracking on that application.

No comments: